The Mission of PEER
The mission of Pharmacy Ethics, Education and Resources (PEER) is to educate health care professionals on ethics to improve patient safety.
Articles of Incorporation as a 501©3 public charity with focus on education and decreasing governmental burden are pending approval by the IRS.
PEER will increase awareness of ethical considerations for all aspects of pharmacy. PEER will create:
- a series of patient safety focused continuing education programs and a speaker’s bureau to present these programs;
- an ethics certificate program;
- a retraining program focusing on ethics, law, and customer service
- a collection of full length and op-ed articles on the topic of ethics;
- a complaint process for consumers;
- and a database of incidents, positive and negative, submitted by consumers and health care professionals of examples of ethical decisions;
PEER will be the voice of pharmacy ethics and board members and fellows will be integral in the conversation of the future of the pharmacy profession. Success for the association will be measured by the number of requests for expertise by the association and a decrease in the number of reported incidents as indicated by the collection of the data and researching past data. PEER will be the consumer advocate for quality, affordable patient care and the resource for health care professionals to provide that care. Ultimately, the success of the association will be the absence of a patient death related to a pharmacist based on a bad ethical decision.